Thursday, April 3, 2008

Can I move to Hawaii?


My best friend and his amazing wife are in Hawaii right now. I am not a jealous person by nature but DAMN I wish we were there with them!! We saw them last week on the way to Hawaii (they had a long layover in LA so we picked them up and spent the day together – she FINALLY got to see the Hollywood sign (a big deal for someone from Singapore)). We had a blast during our short 6-hour break together and it made me realize how much I miss my family (blood and otherwise) on the East Coast. It also made me realize how important it is to shape your life the way YOU want it to look/be. In other words, if you love being around your close friends and outside all of the time, for instance, don’t move 3,000 miles away from everyone and take a job that forces you to be inside most of the day. Pack up your stuff and let your lifestyle determine where you work and live (we’ve all heard it said a million times - work to live rather than live to work).


So, I am declaring it here and now.. I am going to get off my butt and make things happen… I’ve charged our friends to figure out how we can live and work in Hawaii – folks do it every day! People say stuff like, “I’d be bored” or “I’d get island fever.” I don’t understand these concepts – BORED? REALLY? Well, I don’t think a lot of people really take stock of what their lives look like.. Take me for instance, I live in a city that never sleeps but I do- every single night! I don’t hang out late at night anymore. I don’t work in “the business.” What am I doing in LA? All of the things that I really enjoy – spending time with my wife and baby, walking, hiking, not rushing from place to place in my care, hanging at the beach, playing golf, etc. - are things that I can do a lot more of in a place like Hawaii.

Hold me to this promise – I am going to stop riding the bench in my own life… More about that in a later post..

1 comment:

Will said...

Man, just take me with you, is all I ask.

Hawaii, here we come! :)

Nasty Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSE3ODCtmU8
blogarama - the blog directory